School is back in session! Students are walking and taking buses to school. Your caution, awareness and patience are appreciated.
Here are some school bus safety reminders:
- Yellow flashing lights indicate that the bus is preparing to load or unload children. Motorists should slow down and prepare to stop vehicles.
- Red flashing lights and extended stop arms indicate the bus has stopped, and that children are getting on or off. Motorists approaching from either direction must wait until the red lights stop flashing before proceeding.
If a school vehicle has stopped on a roadway and is operating flashing red lights, the driver of any other vehicle on the roadway shall stop at least 20 feet from the school vehicle and may not proceed until the school vehicle either resumes motion or
the red lights are deactivated.
- Never pass on the right side of the bus, where children enter or exit. This is illegal and can have tragic results.
- Violation of these laws can result in a citation and fine. In many places, school bus drivers can report passing vehicles.
Drivers on the opposite side of a divided highway are not required to stop.
Monitoring cameras may be placed on county school buses to record other vehicles committing violations relating to overtaking and passing school vehicles.
School buses may not be operated at a speed exceeding 50 mph.
Young children are most likely to be hit because they:
- Hurry to get on or off the bus
- Act before they think and have little experience with traffic
- Assume motorists will see them and will wait for them to cross
- Don't always stay within the bus driver's sight
- Drop something as they get off the bus and run into the path of the bus to pick it up
Here are some important safety rules for children to know:
- Never walk behind the bus.
- Look left-right-left when coming to the edge of the bus to make sure traffic is stopped. Keep watching traffic when crossing
- Walk at least three giant steps away from the side of the bus.
- If you drop something near the bus, tell the bus driver. Never try to pick it up because the driver may not be able to see you.
Please consider The Myers Team your resource for all things real estate. We have over 30 years of real estate experience, specializing in the Montgomery County area. If you are refinancing, want a recommendation, need a service provider
or just have a home related question, please give me a call at 301-910-9910 or email me at firstname.lastname@example.org.